Academic Catalog 2021-2022

Academic Records and Registration Information

Registration: After new students have been accepted for admission to Concordia College and their deposit has been received, they will receive their fall schedule during the summer preceding Fall Orientation. New students will be assigned a First-Year Experience faculty advisor who they will meet during Fall Orientation.

Transfer Student Registration: The registrar and advisors will work individually with transfer students during the registration process. Early application is strongly encouraged; information on registration is sent soon after acceptance. Transfer credit must be earned with a grade of C- or better and must be from a regionally accredited school to be transferable.

Advance Registration: Twice a year, currently enrolled students register in advance for the next semester. Near the end of the first semester, registration is held for the second semester; near the end of the second semester, registration is held for summer sessions and the first semester of the following academic year.

Late Registration: Last day to add a class for a regular semester course is the 10th day. Registrations cannot be done online by the student after the 10th academic day. Other term deadlines are proportional to the length of the term. See academic calendar for exact deadline dates.

Maximum Registration: Normally, the maximum registration per semester is 17 semester credits. Applications for exceptions to this rule may be made to the registrar and are considered on the basis of grade point average and anticipated date of graduation. A “normal load” is considered to be 16 semester credits. Academic work taken off campus is considered part of a student’s load.

Changes in Registration: It is the students’ responsibility to be sure that their course registration is complete and accurate. All students are encouraged to consult with their advisor and their instructors when making changes to their registrations.

Students will complete initial registration and subsequent schedule changes online via CobberNet and Banner. Full semester courses can be added through the 10th day of class and courses may be dropped through the eighth week of the semester. Shorter term classes have deadlines proportional to the length of term. See academic calendar for exact deadline dates. Courses added/dropped after the deadline will result in a $30 late registration fee.

If a student wishes to enroll in a class that is at its capacity, or has a prerequisite or other restriction that prevents registration, the student must contact the instructor of the course. If the instructor grants permission for the student to be added to the class, the instructor will execute an “electronic override” and the student will then be able to register for the course through Banner. Registrations with overrides of any kind are a two-step process.

In the rare circumstance when a first-time freshman needs to change the registration of their Inquiry Seminar, we ask that the student consult with their advisor first. Changes approved by the registrar will be processed in the Registrar’s Office.

Full-semester courses dropped after the 10th academic day will be noted on the student academic transcript as “DR” (dropped course). Shorter terms have deadlines proportional to the length of the term.

Students with serious and prolonged illness or other serious emergencies wishing to drop a course after the deadline may appeal in writing to the Committee on Student Academic Performance and Procedures for consideration. The committee’s decision of approval or denial will be communicated to the student via their Concordia email address. Supporting documentation from medical personnel, instructors and/or advisors is required. Late drops are rarely approved for reasons other than those stated above.

A student who stops attending a course without formal approval will receive a failing grade.

Departure/Exit Procedures

  1. Withdrawal from Current Semester or Summer Session (if a student does not intend to complete the current semester and/or wishes to drop all current incomplete courses)
    • If it is necessary to withdraw from college during the current semester, the student must file an application for withdrawal from the term in Student Development and Campus Life in Academy 101. If endorsed, the withdrawal becomes effective on the date it is approved and is reflected on the academic record. A “W” in noted on the transcript for each dropped course.
    • The final date for withdrawal from a current term is the last day of classes during the 12th week of the semester.
    • Students who stop attending classes and who do not withdraw in the prescribed manner will be charged as if they had continued in the classes and may earn failing grades.
    • Withdrawal may impact a student’s financial aid. Please refer to the information under Withdrawals and Refunds in the Tuition and Financial Information pages of the catalog.
    • The college reserves the right to involuntarily withdraw students who discontinue class attendance.
    • The college reserves the right to involuntarily withdraw students on academic probation who are not attending classes and who are not meeting their probation status requirements.
  2. Military Withdrawal
    • The college will make every effort to accommodate the needs of a student called to active military duty during an academic term. Students who receive orders to report for active U.S. military duty should contact Student Development and Campus Life. Students in this situation must present their Military Orders to initiate accommodations regarding coursework in progress. An approved plan regarding coursework must be established prior to a student’s departure. Generally, there are three approaches that may be taken:
      • If orders are received late in the semester, a student may be able to complete coursework prior to leaving.
      • It may be feasible for a student to receive an Incomplete in a course or courses. If it is not feasible to receive an Incomplete, a student will be allowed to drop a course or courses with a full refund of tuition and fees associated with the dropped course(s). If a student receives an Incomplete but is unable to complete the work due to a change in circumstances, the student may appeal to the Committee on Student Academic Performance and Procedures for a retroactive course drop under the same terms outlined above.
      • If it is necessary for a student to withdraw from a current semester to fulfill military obligations, a student will be withdrawn with a 100 percent refund of tuitions and fees and unused portion of room and meals.
  3. Non-returning and/or transferring (students who plan to transfer or not return for the next semester)
    • Any student who does not plan to return to Concordia for the next semester must meet with a staff member in the Center for Student Success.
    • Advisement from the Center for Student Success is intended to be a support service and is the initial step to discuss concerns, explore options, seek out resources and get information about considerations involved with leaving the college and/or transferring.

Academic Leave: Students in good standing may apply for an academic leave, allowing them to take leave from college without having to apply for readmission. Leaves may be granted for a period of up to one year. During an academic leave, students will not have access to institutional resources.

Readmission: If you stop attending Concordia for one or more academic terms and want to return, you must contact the Office of Admission. Before your application for readmission will be considered, you will be asked to address any pending issues related to your academic, disciplinary or financial status with the college at the time you stopped attending. Once these issues are resolved, the Office of Admission will process your application for readmission and inform you of the resulting decision.

Auditing Courses: Anyone wishing to audit (attend a course without seeking credit) must have a Concordia College ID number, register for the course (to be listed on the class roster), and pay the required fees (see Special Fees in the Tuition and Financial Information section). Courses with space available may be audited by obtaining consent of the instructor and department chair or program director on the audit registration form (available online and in the Office of the Registrar). Some courses may not be audited for reasons such as space restrictions, special fees or equipment, or external regulations (e.g., HIPAA). Concordia College sponsored study away programs, such as May Seminars, with space available may be audited but the total seminar fee is assessed. Minors are not eligible to audit travel programs.

The audit grade of AU on an academic transcript indicates the class was attended. In the unlikely event that an auditor disrupts the learning environment for other students, the instructor may, in consultation with the department chair/program director, withdraw their consent for the audit. If the instructor reports lack of attendance or withdrawal of consent to the Office of the Registrar, the registration for the audited course will be voided as of that date. Auditors may enroll in a maximum of 8 credits per semester.

Any change from audit to credit must be done by the last day to add a full semester course (10th day of classes). Any change from credit to audit must be done by the last day to drop a full-semester course (eighth week of classes). Refunds for changes from credit to audit will be prorated on the same basis as refunds for withdrawals from courses taken for credit. A course completed with the grade of AU may not be changed to credit. A student may enroll to take the course for credit at a later date. An audited course does not apply to graduation requirements nor the course load needed for financial aid awards.

Pass-Fail Registration Option: The purpose of the pass-fail option is to encourage students to try courses in fields other than their major or minor. Students may take a maximum of 8 credits or their equivalent (excluding transfer credits) on a satisfactory-unsatisfactory (S-U) basis; no more than 4 credits per subject prefix can be graded on an S-U basis, and a course taken for a grade of S-U cannot satisfy any of the liberal arts Core requirements. The grade of S is awarded for C- and higher level work. The grade of U is awarded for D and F level work. Courses offered only on an S-U basis may be taken in addition to the 8 credit maximum. Nursing and dietetics courses required for the major cannot be taken on a pass-fail basis. A course taken as pass-fail will be counted in the attempted hours but will not affect the Concordia GPA.

Repeating Courses: Students must notify the Office of the Registrar when repeating a course. Courses may be repeated if the student has earned a grade of C- or below, or a U, and if space permits. All courses attempted remain on the student’s transcript; only the last grade is computed into the GPA and credit is only earned once. The Student Academic Performance and Procedures Committee must approve exceptions to these rules. Federal regulations prohibit Concordia College from awarding federal financial aid to a student for repeating a course, unless the student failed the course.

Course Examinations: In many classes, formal examinations at midsemester and at the end of each semester are given on the dates indicated on the college calendar. In addition, individual instructors give examinations in their courses at various times during the semester. The results of these exams, and other major assignments, give students the chance to gauge their progress in their courses. If you have any questions about your work in any of your courses, you should talk with your instructor. If you have concerns about your overall progress, you can make use of a variety of resources, including the Office of the Registrar, the Center for Student Success, Student Development and Campus Life and others.