Grades: Grades are indicated by letters, using the traditional method of describing the quality of work in a course. See the following chart for how letter grades are interpreted in terms of quality and grade points. Policy for assigning grades is at the discretion of the individual instructor.

Change of Grade: Once a grade is recorded on a student transcript, it becomes part of the institutional record and can be changed only to correct an error in the original grade computation or in cases where there has been a violation of academic integrity. A grade change cannot be made because required (or additional) coursework has been turned in after the end of the term. A grade change can be made by the instructor of record for a course or be made with approval of the chief academic officer, if the instructor of record is not available. A change of grade may not be made more than one year after the grade was officially recorded in the Registrar’s Office.

A student who wishes to appeal a grade may appeal to the department chair or program director, who, in consultation with the faculty member and one or two other faculty members agreeable to the student, will determine whether the grade should be changed. Appeals must be submitted no later than midsemester following the semester in which the grade was assigned. Students seeking an appeal of the academic department/program decision may bring a petition to the dean of the college or designee.

Grade Points: Grade points are the numerical measure of the quality of work. Each grade received is assigned the value indicated on the chart below. The grade points earned in a single course are determined by multiplying the numerical equivalent of the letter grade by the number of semester credits for the course.

Grades Interpretation Grade Points
A excellent 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B good 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C satisfactory 2.0
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D 1.0
D- minimum passing 0.7
AU audit 01
NG no grade 01
NR no report 01
F failure 0
S passing grade (S-U course) 01
U failing grade (S-U course) 01
I incomplete 01
IP in progress 0 1
W withdrawn 01
DR dropped course 01

Grades that do not affect the grade point average.

Grade Point Average (GPA): The Concordia College cumulative grade point average is determined by dividing the total number of grade points earned in all Concordia courses by the total number of semester credits attempted while at Concordia. A GPA of 2.0 is the same as a C average, 3.0 is a B average, etc. Transfer grades are not included in the Concordia College GPA calculation.

Incomplete Grade: A grade of I is a temporary indicator that your work is satisfactory as far as completed and that credit may be earned upon completion of all course requirements. The grade of I is issued only when you have missed examinations or failed to complete course assignments because of serious and prolonged illness or other unavoidable emergencies. It is your responsibility to consult the teacher and initiate the grade of I and the makeup work. If justified, an I grade is awarded by the instructor. The instructor will indicate course requirements to be completed, date by which requirements will be completed and received by the instructor (no later than the eighth week of the following semester), and the course grade which will be recorded should the student fail to meet all conditions of the agreement.

If an I has been automatically converted to an F or another assigned default grade, the student may request to complete the necessary coursework. This may only be permitted at the instructor’s discretion and must be completed within one year, which is in accordance with the grade change policy. The student may not complete coursework after that time.

If three or more incompletes have accumulated, permission to enroll in any new courses the following semester will be withheld until you have met with a member of the Student Academic Performance and Procedures Committee to discuss and establish a plan for removing the incompletes and until substantial progress has been made in finishing the incompletes. The final dates for removal of incompletes and conditions are given in the college calendar; they are the dates after which the registrar cannot accept revisions of I grades given the preceding semester.

In Progress Grade: A grade of “IP” is a temporary indicator that credit may be earned upon satisfactory completion of the coursework.