Concordia College accepts a variety of transfer credit and credit for prior learning as described in this policy. This policy applies both to transfer students as well as new undergraduates who have transfer credit or credit for prior learning experiences such as PSEO, College in the Schools, etc. (The transfer credit policy for graduate students is available here.) The definitions included in this policy describe various forms of transfer credit and associated concepts that relate to transfer credit.


  • Transfer student - A student who previously attended a post-secondary institution after graduating from high school.
  • Transfer credit – Credit earned for coursework taken through a post-secondary institution either as a degree-seeking student or as a high school student through concurrent enrollment options (e.g., PSEO, dual enrollment, or college in the schools, etc.).
  • Postsecondary enrollment options (PSEO) - The PSEO program is a dual credit program that allows high school students to simultaneously earn high school and college credit through enrollment in and successful completion of college-level courses.
  • Credit for prior learning – Credit earned for prior learning by demonstrating mastery through taking examinations (e.g., AP, IB, CLEP, etc.).
  • Official transcript – An official transcript is a complete summary of a student’s academic record from a previously attended institution.  Hard-copy transcripts are considered official when they are sent directly to Concordia College in a sealed envelope from a previous institution, are printed on official paper, and are marked with enhanced security features.  Electronic transcripts are considered official when they are securely delivered through a digital credential service such as Parchment or the National Student Clearinghouse. 
  • Unofficial transcript - An unofficial transcript is a student’s academic record that arrives in an unsealed envelope, is not printed on official paper with enhanced security features, comes directly from the student, and/or is printed from a student portal.
  • Residence credit – The academic credit earned through the completion of courses registered for and completed at/through Concordia College. See the Residence Requirement policy for more information about the number of residence credits (non-transfer credits) needed to earn a Concordia College degree.

Evaluation Criteria, Policies, & Procedures

Concordia College accepts credit in a variety of forms including traditional transfer credit, PSEO, credit for prior learning, and international credit. Credit is evaluated on the following criteria: level, content, recency, and comparability.

The following policies apply to all forms of transfer credit:

  • Effective Fall 2016, transfer grades have been updated to show all “S” grades. Transfer credits will be calculated in the total credits earned; grades calculated in the GPA will only be Concordia College courses.
  • Once credit is added to a student’s record, regardless of the type of transfer credit or credit earned at Concordia College, it becomes a part of a student’s official academic record and cannot be removed at a later date.
  • The academic classification level at which students are placed at Concordia will depend on the work they have successfully completed and is accepted for transfer.
  • The federal regulations regarding maximum time frame for completion require that students can obtain a degree within 150% of published program length. See the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy for more information regarding maximum time frame.

Specific evaluation criteria, policies, and procedures that apply to each form of credit are included below.

Transfer Credit

  • Courses must be taken from a regionally accredited college or university and a standard letter grade of C- is required (grades of “P” or “S” are not accepted).
  • Credit is not accepted for courses that:
    • Apply toward a certificate program only
    • Are remedial courses (typically noted with a course number or level under 100)
    • Varsity sports
    • Music ensembles
  • A class cannot be transferred in to be a repeat of a Concordia College class. All repeats must be taken at Concordia College.
  • Students are responsible for submitting an official transcript from the previously attended institution(s) directly to Concordia College.
  • When a student’s official transcript is received, transfer credits will be evaluated and entered onto a student’s record.

Credit for Prior Learning

The following types of prior learning credit are accepted:

  • Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), College Level Examination Program (CLEP):
    • Students may obtain credit for selected courses at Concordia by earning an appropriate score on AP, IB, and/or CLEP examinations.
    • Students must request their official scores be sent to Concordia College.
    • Credits and equivalents are recorded based on the published credit tables for the catalog year that the student matriculates to Concordia College. 
  • Bilingual Seals Program/Seals of Biliteracy:
    • The Seal of Biliteracy is an award given by a school, school district, or state in recognition of students who have studied and attained proficiency in two or more languages by high school graduation.
    • It is a student’s responsibility to inform the Registrar’s Office if they have earned a Seal of Biliteracy.
    • Credits and equivalents are recorded based on the published credit tables for the catalog year that the student matriculates to Concordia College. 
  • Joint Services Transcript (JST):
    • In evaluating and granting credit to veterans who have pursued specialized training programs in the armed forces, the college utilizes the Guide to the Evaluation of Education Experiences in the Armed Services, prepared by the American Council of Education.
    • Students are responsible for submitting Joint Services Transcripts directly to Concordia College.

International Transfer Credit

Students who have transfer credit for courses taken at universities outside of the United States must have their final transcripts evaluated by an approved credential evaluation agency found on the NACES websites ( and sent to Concordia College. Students must request a “course-by-course” evaluation from the agency.

All summer study away programs, international or domestic, will be considered transfer credit and the above policies will apply. This excludes Concordia faculty-led May programs or other summer credit-bearing experiences that require registration in a Concordia course.

For students who have completed the Vitnemål (a student’s 13th year in Norway/Sweden), transfer credit will be accepted once the official transcript has been received from Norway-America Association (NORAM).