First-Year Honors Experience
First-Year Honors is an academic honors experience for high ability, highly motivated students who accept the challenge of actively exploring ideas and topics in deep and meaningful ways taught by outstanding faculty who bring a distinctive approach and perspective to their subject. Eligible students are invited to join the program at admission.
First-Year Honors students participate in stimulating discussions and develop intellectual and social relationships as they challenge themselves and each other. Participants take two specially designated courses in their first semester: (1) Honors Inquiry Seminar and (2) either Honors Oral Communication or Honors Written Communication.
Departmental Honors Programs
Departmental honors programs are an option for highly motivated students. Several academic departments offer these intensified studies for exceptional students who wish to develop their talents to a greater degree than might otherwise be possible.
Students who successfully complete the departmental honors program graduate “with honors.” A notation to that effect appears on the academic record along with other honors earned at Concordia. The requirements of departmental honors programs vary. For more information, see the department chairs of biology, chemistry, Chinese, communication studies, education, English, French, German, history, mathematics, music, philosophy, physics, political science, psychology, religion, social work and Spanish.
Contact the department chair or program director for detailed information about departmental honors.
Alpha Society is Concordia’s major scholastic honor society. All seniors and second-semester juniors who have a GPA of 3.7 or better are members. These students are recognized by being listed in the Commencement program.
Omicron Delta Kappa is a national leadership honor society recognizing outstanding juniors and seniors for major achievements and leadership roles in campus activities. ODK recognizes and encourages achievement in scholarship, athletics, student government, social and religious affairs, publications, speech, music, drama and the other arts. Contact Dr. Jonathan Steinwand in the English department for information on Omicron Delta Kappa.
In addition, some departments and programs have honor societies that recognize students who have maintained a specified GPA or met other criteria for membership. These include:
- Accounting – Concordia People of Accounting
- Biology – Tri-Beta, Sigma Zeta
- Classical Studies – Eta Sigma Phi
- Communication Studies and Theatre Art – Alpha Psi Omega (theatre), Lambda Pi Eta (communication), Pi Kappa Delta (speech and debate)
- Computer Science - Computer Science Software Engineering (CSSE)
- English – Sigma Tau Delta
- Finance - Offutt School Finance Association, Scheel Investment Club
- French – Pi Delta Phi
- German – Delta Phi Alpha/Kappa Tau
- History – Phi Alpha Theta
- International Business – International Business Club
- Marketing – Marketing Club
- Music – Pi Kappa Lambda
- Neuroscience – Nu Rho Psi
- Nursing – Sigma
- Psychology – Psi Chi
- Physics – Sigma Pi Sigma
- Religion – Better Together Interfaith Alliance, Mathetai
- Social Work – Phi Alpha/Omicron Lambda
- Spanish – Sigma Delta Pi
Contact the department chair or program director for detailed information about membership and society activities.